Do you want to start a blog and could not figure out what type of blog to start? With a lot of different types of blogs and blogging niches. Selecting a niche becomes a confusing exercise.
Stay with me until the end of this article. I will take you through different types of blogs and blogging niches. Make note of the niches that pique your interest.
After going through this article you can select one from the list. So without any delay let’s get started.
Here are the topics that we cover in this article:
Fashion blogs are the most popular types of blogs worldwide. They have a huge global appeal and following. Fashion is not about clothing. It includes designing, styling, hair styling and makeup.
Fashion bloggers should have a good sense of fashion, style and trends.
Competition in this blogging niche is very high. If you want to be a fashion influencer. Start with a very narrow niche and work your way from there.
Fashion is a very broad niche. If you are planning to start a fashion blog. You may have to further niche down into the following sub-niches:
- Fashion Trends
- Designer Clothing
The benefits of being a fashion blogger:
- Invitation to new product launches, big events and news releases.
- Collaboration with big fashion houses.
- Earn special merchandise and perks.
- business deals that pay to promote or sell products
Most Popular Fashion blogs
- The Blonde Salad by Chiara Ferragni.
- Zagufashion by Valentina Coco.
- ManuellaVitulli by Manuella Vitulli.
- Inthefrow by Victoria Magrath.
- DisneyRollerGirl by Navaz Batliwalla
Food blogs are another popular blog type online. They cover different types of topics like recipes, restaurants and food reviews. Food blogging includes food photography, food and travels also.
If you love eating or preparing dishes you can start a food blog.
Restaurants, meal delivery services, and catering companies hire influential food bloggers. They sell products or raise awareness about their product using the blogger’s influence.
Most food bloggers start with reviews of local restaurants and food points. Food blogging is a very broad and competitive niche. You have to find a sub-niche to position your blog. Sub-niches are:
- Healthy Eating
- Diet for weight loss
- Cooking Tutorials
The benefits of food blogging are;
- Get to taste a variety of food.
- Earn from third-party restaurant ads
- Paid for restaurant reviews
- Wine and beer tasting.
Some of the most popular food blogs are:
- Downshiftology by Lisa Bryan.
- Iowa Girl Eats by Kristin.
- Pinch of Yum by Lindsey and Bjork.
- The Recipe Critic by Alyssa.
- Dinner with Julie by Julie.
Travel blogs are another popular category on the internet. More people are travelling than ever before due to reducing airfares. They need to plan and research their travel destinations.
If you love travelling and visiting places you can consider travel blogging.
As a travel blogger, you have to research various destinations. This also includes hotels, best prices and other related information.
You can start by writing and reviewing local tourist attractions. Increase your area of operation as your influence grows. Some of the sub-niches to target are:
- Travel tips
- Travel advice
- Destination reviews
- Destination guides
The benefits of travel blogging are:
- Travel to various places.
- Location-free job.
- Make new friends.
- Get Free Vacations
- Make Money while travelling.
The most popular types of blogs in travel blogging are:
- Wandering Earl by Derek.
- Jones Around the World by Dave.
- Travel Freak by Jeremy.
- Flying the Nest by Stephen and Jess.
- Goats on the Road by Dariece and Nick
Music blogs are popular due to their global appeal. They are also known as audio blogs or sound blogs. People love to listen to music including music from other languages and cultures.
If you have an ear for music, you should go for a music blog.
As a music blogger, you can write about various types of music. Including music composers, directors and singers.
Music is a very broad niche. Even the sub-niches are very broad. We recommend niching down to a very specific audience for starting a music blog. The sub-niches are:
- Trending Music
- Industry or artist news
- Album or song reviews
- New releases
- Trending Music
- Music by genre or country
The benefits of music blogging:
- Build relationships with celebrities
- Invitation to music events and promos
- Earn money with affiliate marketing
- Get paid by music companies.
Some of the most popular music blogs are:
- Pitchfork by Ryan Schreiber.
- Gorilla vs. Bear by Chris Cantalini and David Bartholow
- Brooklyn Vegan by Dave Levine
- This is RnB
Lifestyle blogs are another popular blogging niche online. They cover a wide variety of topics from politics to arts and culture. Content creation for lifestyle blogging is very easy.
If you like writing on diverse topics, you should consider lifestyle blogging. It is the fastest way to become an influencer.
Lifestyle bloggers are versatile writers. They can write on various topics. They get writing opportunities with popular publications and businesses.
The lifestyle blogging niche is very broad. You are not bound by any topic considerations. The blogger has full freedom to write on any topic. For e.g:
The benefits of being a lifestyle blogger:
- Become a versatile writer.
- Write for major newspapers, magazines
- Publish a book
- Earn through affiliate marketing and royalty.
The most popular lifestyle blogs are:
- PrimeMagazine by Andrew
- Goop by Gwyneth Paltrow.
- CupofJo by Joanna Goddard.
- CamilleStyles by Camille.
- VerveMagazine by Anuradha Mahindra
Fitness blogs are another popular type of blog worldwide. With rising awareness of staying fit. These blogs not only cover how to stay fit. But it also covers healthy eating and motivation for staying fit.
If you are a fitness freak or a fitness instructor. You should consider starting a blog in this niche.
As a fitness blogger, you have to create guides, tutorials and fitness plans. You should know about video creation and editing. Video blogging is most suitable for fitness blogs.
The Fitness niche is a competitive niche. Start with a sub-niche with low competition and high volume. Some of the sub-niches are:
- Diet advice and plans
- Workout routines
- Workout techniques
- Health supplements
The benefits of fitness blogging:
- Better video creator.
- Become an authority on a healthy lifestyle.
- Earn from endorsements of products.
- Work with fitness experts and celebrities.
- Improve the quality of life.
Some of the most popular fitness blogs are:
- Mark’s Daily Apple by Mark.
- Keep It Simpelle by Elle Linton.
- Born Fitness by Adam Bornstein
- Breaking Muscle by Becca Borawski Jenkins.
- Carrots ‘N’ Cake by Tina Haupert
Do It Yourself (DIY) Blogs
Do-it-yourself blogs enjoy a huge audience. The DIY bloggers create helpful DIY videos and guides. They cover various topics ranging from clothing, home decor, art, and crafts.
If you have certain skills or enjoy crafts. You can create a blog and share your skill with others.
A DIY blogger shares his skill with his audience. So he should learn video creation and editing skills. It also requires good communication and explanation skills.
A DIY blogging niche has many sub-niches. You need to pick the one you have expertise in. If the niche is broad you should niche down. A few of the DIY niches are:
- Arts and crafts
- renovation and construction
- DIY tips and tricks
- DIY hacks
The benefits of DIY blogging:
- Improves communication skills.
- Earn by recommending tools.
- Improves video creation and presentation skills.
- Make new friends.
- Become an authority in your craft.
Some of the most popular types of blogs in this category are:
- Remodelaholic by Cassity.
- A Pair & a Spare by Genève.
- Fall for DIY by Francesca.
- Shanty 2 Chic by Ashley and Whitney.
- Vintage Revivals by Mandi
Sports blogs have a large fan base and huge followings. These blogs cover everything related to sports. It ranges from sharing the live score to the latest events.
If you are a sports enthusiast, sportsman or coach. You should consider starting a sports blog.
As a sports blogger, you have to update yourself about the sports that you cover. Including the latest events, tournaments and live scores.
The sports niche is a very broad one. Pick up a specific sport and begin with a sub-niche with enough traffic volume. Some of the niches are:
- Sports news
- Game schedules
- Live scores and Results
- About Team or a sportsman
- Sports gear
The benefits of sports blogging are:
- Gain expertise in the chosen sport
- Earn a lot of money promoting sports gear and running ads.
- Interview famous sportsmen.
- Get an invitation to major events and tournaments
Some of the most popular sports blogs are:
- Transfer Tavern – Football
- Racing Post – Horse Racing
- Bad Left Hook – Boxing
- Tennis Now
- Rugby Dump
Finance blogs provide valuable advice on managing money and generating wealth. The audience ranges from individual investors, families, startups and even businesses.
If you are good at managing money and finances. You should start a finance blog.
As a finance blogger, you need to have a good understanding of how money works. It will enable you to provide useful information to your visitors. The visitors can be college students, young graduates or retired employees.
Money and finances are a very broad niche. You should pick a sub-niche and start writing about it. A few of the sub-niches in finance blogging are:
- Money management
- Saving advice
- Stock market
- Credit Cards
The benefits of finance blogging are:
- Stay updated on financial topics.
- Become a better investor.
- Earn by lead generation and client referrals.
- Promote financial products and services.
- Start a consulting firm.
- Become an investment banker.
A few of the most popular finance blogs are:
- Afford Anything by Paula Pant.
- Four Pillars Finance by Zach.
- Financial Samurai by Sam Dogen.
- Wallet Hacks by Jim Wang.
- Rich & Regular by Julien and Kiersten Saunders.
Political blogs cater to a specific type of blog audience. These blogs have a very passionate audience. They cover political events, the latest news, political analysis, government initiatives and plans.
You can start a political blog if you have an active interest in politics. These types of blogs are easy to start and maintain.
As a political blogger, you need to keep up with the latest in politics. Knowledge of political history gives you an edge in discussions and news analysis.
Political parties have their own bloggers or blogging teams. You can start blogging in the following political niches:
- Political news
- News Analysis
- Current affairs
- Opinion blog
Benefits of starting a political blog:
- Association with political leaders
- Expertise in political affairs
- Get paid for running blogging campaigns.
- Knowledge of current affairs
Some of the best political blogs are:
- FiveThirtyEight by Nate Silver.
- Daily Kos by Markos Moulitsas
- InstaPundit by Glenn Reynolds
- Daniel Finkelstein
- Michael White
Parenting blogs have a large engaged and passionate following. New parents worry a lot about their parenting skills. They are looking for guidance on various aspects of parenting. For e.g, baby care, food and other activities related to parenting.
It is the best niche for novice bloggers. If you have kids you can share tips and advice about parenting.
If you don’t have kids you can still start a parenting blog. It will be a great learning experience for you. You can share your findings with others.
There is a rise in the number of mom blogs and dad blogs. The reason, you have real-life experiences you can share with your audience. The audience can relate to your experiences. Some of the niches for parenting bloggers are:
- Parenting advice
- Food and nutrition guidance
- Child care
The benefits to the parenting bloggers:
- Become a better parent.
- Make friends
- Gain expertise in parenting
- Get paid by promoting childcare products
Some of the most popular parenting blogs are:
- Honest Mum by Vicki Broadbent.
- Confessions of Parenting by Michele
- Foster the Family by Jamie.
- The Fashionable Housewife by Sarah Jean
- Your Modern Family by Becky.
Business blogs are professional blogs run by corporations and industries. They use blogs to communicate with their customers. In this way, they educate the customers about their products and services.
As the name states, you should be a business owner to start a business blog. Blogging will help in generating new customers and more conversions for your business.
A business blog helps you to showcase your products and services. It also raises your authority and demonstrates knowledge and expertise in your field.
The blogging niche for these types of blogs depends upon your business. Some of the niches that you can use to start a business blog are:
- Industry-related news and insights
- business advice
- product or service information
- business announcements
The benefits of running a business blog:
- Exposure to your products or services.
- Educates your customers
- Convert visitors to buyers
- Get more leads.
Some of the most popular business blogs are:
- Duct Tape Marketing by John Jantsch.
- Smart Passive Income by Pat Flynn.
- Fast Company by Alan Webber and Bill Taylor.
- Content Marketing Institute by Jor Pulizzi.
- Backlinko by Brian Dean.
Personal blogs are popular blogs by individual writers. They share their ideas, hobbies, beliefs, life experiences and struggles. These types of blogs attract like-minded people. It helps bloggers in building a community around their niche.
Personal blogs are for people who want to write about their life experiences. They have no plan to make an earning out of it.
A personal blog is very easy to start. Most of the successful blogs today were personal blogs. You have to make sure to come up with new content and valuable content ideas for your blog posts.
If you are not able to choose a niche for your blog. You should start as a blogger in your personal space. Pick up anything that you would love to share with others. Comment on other similar blogs and start building your community. You can start in one of the following niches.
- Life experiences
- Daily life
The benefits of being a personal blogger.
- Become a better writer.
- Share your knowledge and experiences.
- Build a community.
- An outlet for your thoughts.
- Help voice your opinions
Here are some of the popular personal blogs:
- The Book Smugglers by Ana and Thea.
- Cordelia Calls It Quits by Kelly.
- Gala Darling by Gala.
- Tech Savvy Mama by Leticia Barr
- Love That Max by Ellen Seidman
Profession blogs help bloggers in generating revenue. The content is SEO optimized to drive massive traffic thereby increasing conversions. These types of blogs promote products or services.
You can start a professional blog for generating revenues for your existing business.
Professional bloggers should be able to generate leads. Write SEO-optimized content and drive conversions. You should have expertise in the optimization of blogs. Including optimizing landing pages, contact forms and call-to-action buttons.
To succeed as a professional blogger, you have to check the competition in your niche. Target a sub-niche and work your way up from there. The selection of sub-niches depends on your niche. For e.g, in the blogging niche you can target:
- SEO content
- Fb ads
- Google Ads
- Email marketing
- Social media marketing
A few of the most popular professional blogs are:
- Seths by Seth Godin
- Career Sherpa by Hannah Morgan.
- Copyblogger by Brian Clark
- Neilpatel by Neil Patel.
- Shoutmeloud by Harsh Aggarwal.
Movie blogs are the most popular types of blogs. The visitors like to see the reviews, ratings and news about the latest movies. They also cover movie stars and other celebrities.
If you love watching movies and following movie stars. You can start a movie blog and write about them.
A movie blogger should keep up with the latest in the movie industry. The new movie release dates, ratings, reviews and gossip around them.
Again movie blogging is a very broad niche. You should target a sub-niche with low competition and enough traffic volume. Some of the sub-niches that you can start with are:
- Film industry news
- About actors or Directors
- Movie reviews
- Movie releases
The benefits to a movie blogger are:
- Invitation to premium shows.
- Free tickets to first shows
- Paid movie reviews
- Paid advertising
A few of the most popular movie blogs are:
- Screen Anarchy by Todd Brown.
- Joblo by Berge Garabedian.
- Movie Pilot
Auto blogs are also a popular blogging niche. They cover luxury and sports cars. This includes car make models, car features, accessories and even driving tips.
If you love owning and driving cars then auto blogging is for you.
As an auto blogger, you need to have knowledge of a wide range of topics related to automobiles. It includes modern cars, vintage cars, car financing and offers etc.
The auto blogging niche is also very broad. You need to zero in on a sub-niche with decent traffic and low competition. Some of the niches to begin with are:
- Luxury cars
- sports cars
- Latest car reviews
- New and old car models
- Car events and rallies
- Car maintenance
- Safety Tips
- Car engineering
- Automobile dealerships
The benefits of being an auto blogger:
- Invitation to the auto expos, events and rallies.
- Become an expert and authority in the niche.
- Paid reviews and advertisements.
- Promote car accessories and earn commissions.
Some of the popular types of blogs are:
News blogs have wide coverage and a huge audience. People like to stay informed on various topics. The topics range from politics, religion, science, and technology to current affairs.
You don’t need any special skills to start a news blog. It will be better if you enjoy keeping up with the current news and events.
News bloggers should be aware of a wide range of topics ranging from politics to the weather. They should be able to analyse the news and add their own perspective.
News blogging is a very broad niche. Pick up any sub-niche as per your expertise or interest. A few of the sub-niches are:
- Local news
- News sharing
- Opinion pieces
The benefits of being a news blogger:
- Paid advertising.
- Become a better writer.
- Sharpen your presentation skills
- Write for popular news houses.
- Level up your journalism skills.
A few of the well-known news blogs are:
- HuffPost by Arianna Huffington.
- Mashable by Pete Cashmore.
- TechCrunch by Michael Arrington.
- The Daily Beast by Tina Brown.
Pet blogs also have a huge and passionate audience. Owners need to stay informed about various pet care activities. Including pet care, grooming, diet and health. It also covers animal lovers and people looking for pets.
People with pets should start a pet blog related to his/her own pet. It will help them share their real experiences.
A pet blogger needs to update himself about various topics related to animals. These topics include animal care, grooming, diseases etc.
Check out the competition and traffic volume in your pet blogging niche. If you want to enter the competitive niche, have your own unique angle. It will help you differentiate from the crowd. Some of the niches are:
- Pet care
- Pet food
- Fostering pets
The benefits to a pet blogger.
- Become an expert.
- Partner with business.
- Get paid for promoting pet care products.
Some of the popular pet blogs are:
- Adopt a pet
- Pet breeds
- Backyard chickens
Gaming blogs attract a huge audience that includes teenagers and adults alike. It is a popular niche with a passionate audience. YouTube is the best platform for gamers. It allows them to record, stream and share live gameplay with the audience.
If you have a passion for watching and playing games, you should go for a gaming blog.
A gaming blogger should have knowledge about different types of games and formats. You should keep up with the latest in the gaming industry. For e.g, new or upcoming games, gaming events, hardware and gaming cheats sheets etc.
It is one of the most competitive niches on the internet. You should focus on a sub-niche to gain authority. Then you can expand into bigger gaming niches. Pick up one of the following gaming niches to start with:
- Latest games
- Game reviews
- Gaming hardware
- Gaming cheats
The benefits of being a gaming blogger:
- Invitation to gaming events.
- Early access to new games.
- Paid advertisements.
- Paid reviews.
- Win gaming awards.
A few of the most popular gaming blogs are:
We have covered the most popular types of blogs. You can even mix and match to come up with your own unique niche.
I hope that this article has given you some insights into picking your niche. If you are still confused? Pick anything that interests you and start blogging about it. You will gain clarity as you go.
Do not over analyse things. The only requirements to become a successful blogger are:
- Picking up the niche
- Create valuable content
- Keep repeating the above step.
I would love to hear from you. What types of blogs do you enjoy reading and following?
Which type of blog you are planning to start?
1 thought on “Types Of Blogs That Win On Google: Most Popular Blogs Included!”