Want to drive massive traffic to your blog? But you don’t have money to spend on ads. Don’t worry, I will guide you on how to drive traffic using blog comments. This technique does not require a massive following or money.
Once blog commenting was a popular link building technique. But like other link building techniques, some people started abusing them.
Instead of leaving insightful comments, many webmasters started to create unrelated and unwanted comments leading to spamming. This resulted in the down-gradation of the “link juice” associated with blog commenting.
Here are topics that we are covering in this article:
Blog commenting may not be useful for link building anymore. But it is an effective way for a beginner blogger to steal traffic from established blogs. and improve brand recognition.
It’s the easiest off-page SEO technique. Ideal for everyone from a newbie to a successful blogger.
The main goal is to get the initial traffic boost. And drive traffic to a new blog.
If you like videos you can checkout the video format.
What Are Blog Comments?
Blog comments are textual responses to a blog post or an article. These responses are by blog visitors, readers or the blog author himself. They are helpful in building a relationship between the blogger and its readers.
Blog commenting is gives an opportunity to ask or reply to questions. A user may like to appreciate the content. So it helps in the exchange of ideas, thoughts and opinions related to a specific topic.
It is one of the easiest ways to get backlinks, build relationships and drive blog traffic.
With the right blog commenting strategy. You can improve and diversify your backlink profile.
Blog comments are also helpful in improving your branding and brand recognition.
What Are Different Types Of Blog Comments?
There are 2 different types of blog comments:
- Do-follow Comments – The do-follow comments pass the link juice to the linked page
- No-follow Comments – No-follow comments do not pass the link juice to the linked page
What Is The Blog Comment Benefits?
There are many benefits of commenting on other blogs. The 3 major advantages are:
- Building backlinks – Some blogs have an option to drop your website URL. This gives you an opportunity of creating a backlink to your blog/blog post.
- Driving Traffic – A valuable comment on a niche-specific blog attracts the targeted traffic to your blog
- Build a relationship – Useful comments attract attention from the blog authors and helps in building a relationship.
Besides the major benefits, other minor ones include:
- Leaving comments diversifies your link profile.
- Good comments help in value addition to the content.
- To leave valuable comments you have to go through the topic. In the process, you learn more about the topic.
- The anchor text is the text used for linking to your blog/blog post. Commenting helps in diversifying anchor text.
- This helps you steal traffic from your competitors
- You can deep link your articles or blog posts
- We need to read the blog post to comment on it. This helps in the generation of new ideas for fresh content.
- The number of comments on your article acts as a social proof
- During your search for blogs for commenting you discover new blogs
How To Find Blogs For Commenting?
To find blogs for commenting you can use one of the following methods
1. Manual Blog Commenting Technique.
In this method, you perform a Google search along with the footprints. Footprints are keywords used to track down the blogs for commenting.
But before we begin, here are a few things to remember.
- Search for blogs in your own niche. Commenting and link building on blogs not in your niche is useless.
- The blog should be active and an authority blog. Look for a blog with a DR of 25 or above.
- Wherever possible try to deep-link your comments. Deep linking means linking by page URL of your relevant blog post rather than the homepage.
Let’s start with the manual method and follow the footprints in the search engine.
What Are The Blog footprints?
These are the words or phrases in the blog commenting area. Here is the list of the most common footprints:
- Leave a reply
- Leave a comment
- Write a comment
- Reply or comment
- Post new comment
- Reader comments
- Powered by WordPress
- Notify me when new comments are posted
- Notify me of the follow-up comments
- blog comments powered by Disqus
- Add new comment
- Add comment
- Your email address will not be published
- Please login to comment
- Login or register to post comments
- You must be logged in to post a comment
- No comments posted yet
- Why not be the first to have your say
We can track the blogs using the above footprints. Here is a step by step example:
Let’s start with a Google search.
Type your target keyword and the footprint in the search engine as shown below. Keyword should be relevant to your blog niche. For e.g “Keyword” + “FootPrint”
You can further refine your search using search operators. This will help you to find the blogs with the keyword in the title or URL. For e.g Inurl:keyword + “FootPrint”
To look for article with keywords in tittle you can use i
Intitle:keyword + “FootPrint”
To find the latest blogs with fresh content. Click on Tools
and select “filter by the past month”.
You will get a ton of blogs to comment on. So what are you waiting for, get busy commenting.
If you want to add a link within your comments you can use the following HTML code
<a href=” Your link goes here”>Your Text Goes Here</a>
If you want to check whether the link is do-follow or no-follow you can turn on Mozbar. Mozbar is a free extension for the chrome browser.
2. Use Feedly To Find Blogs For Commenting.
One of the most simple methods to find blogs for commenting is using the Feedly feed reader.
- Sign up for a free Feedly account.
- Search the blog in the search bar using your niche keywords.
- Click on the “follow” button to add them to your following list.
- Set up Google Alerts using the Keywords, you will get the alert notification in your mail.
- As soon as you receive the alert, try to leave the comments. The first comment receives the most value and traffic.
3. Using The DropMyLink Tool.
DropMyLink tool a great tool to find sites with a comment section.
Sign up for the DropMyLink free account.
Login using the credentials. You will see the dropmylink search bar.
It helps you refine your search based on the following
- Time – Freshness factor based upon the time the content published. For e.g past week, the past month or past year.
- No of results – No of site results that you need to drop your comments on
- Type of top-level domain – .com, .edu etc.
You have to enter your target keyword in the search bar
- Select the category
- Choose the footprint
- Click on the search.
That’s it… Get busy commenting
How To Write Blog Comments That Stand Out?
To write blog comments that stand out you need to craft a commenting strategy. Good blog comments should be engaging, useful and add value to the conversation.
- Before commenting ensure that you have read and understood the main idea of the post content.
- Pick out the ideas that you like or dislike.
- Look for the missing information or where content needs improvement.
Here are the steps that will make your comments stand out and super useful.
- Read and understand the main idea of the post content.
- Pick out the ideas that you like or dislike.
- Start your comment with a friendly greeting by including the name of the blog author.
- compliment the author on something that impressed you about the article.
- The next step is value addition. Begin with a detailed comment. The intent here is to add valuable comments to the conversation.
- Make use of your personal observation or anecdotes that are easy to relate to
- You can end the comment with a question or ask for feedback. End the comment with a parting promise like sharing the post on your social media platforms.
The aim is to add valuable comments to the discussion and if possible attract a reply from the author.
You should try to secure the first comment on the blog post or article. If you can’t be the first try to be within the first few.
Blog Commenting Tips
- Be the first to comments on any blog.
- Prepare a blog list for regular commenting. The list should contain the most popular blogs in your category that you want to follow. Engage with them using regular commenting.
- Always use your name. You get recognised by the author as well as the others who commented on the blog.
- Create your Gravatar profile and use it for commenting.
- Don’t bother about do-follow or no-follow. You will be able to generate traffic back to your blog.
- Avoid inserting keywords in comments.
- Deep-link your blogs internal pages using the website textbox.
- Give genuine, logical comments and add value to the conversation.
- Avoid starting the comment with your domain name.
- Most Common Blog commenting Mistakes To Avoid.
- Avoid generic comments like a nice post or a great post.
- Don’t use one-liner comments they do not add any value to the conversation.
- Do not comment without reading the type of blog and the blog comments already posted.
- Using irrelevant comments or spam comments.
- Commenting on Non-niche blogs.
- Do not use keywords or fake names in the “Name” sections
- Avoid using a temporary or fake email address.
- Do not comment without a personal Gravatar image. It leads to a loss of connection in communication.
- Refrain use of two much I in the comments
- Avoid personal attacks on the author or on other peoples comments
In this article, we have covered what is a blog comment, different types of blog comments. We also the blog comment benefits, how to find a blog for commenting and how to write a blog comment that stands out.
Although, commenting has lost its importance in the link building techniques. But still, it is helpful in the diversification of link profile. Beginner blogger can use this technique to boost the traffic to their new blog.
What are you thinking of, start exploring the blogosphere? Find and track down the blog posts and start dropping valuable blog comments around the web.
How are you building backlinks to your blog? I would love to hear from you.