You have been blogging for a few months now. Still, there is no or very less blog traffic. In spite of creating useful and engaging blog content. You are unable to traffic to your blog.
Although the first step in generating blog traffic is to create amazing content, the Next step is to find a method to connect your audience to this content. We have already covered the topic of how to start blog writing.
In this post, we will discuss the methods to connect your blog content to your target audience.
First, let’s find out what is the blog traffic?
What is Blog Traffic?
Blog traffic refers to visitors that visit a blog. The visitors are normally the target audience of the blog.
Visitors arrive on your blog through different sources. They may have a query or looking for information. If you are able to provide the right solution, they will like your content and would form your tribe.
In this way, you build rapport with your audience. This trust helps build a relationship with your audience. Once they trust you they will most likely buy from you.
How Many Blog Posts Does It Take To Grow Blog Traffic?
The number of blog posts is directly proportional to blog traffic. More the number of blog posts more will be the traffic to the blog.
Initially, a new blog does not generate any traffic. As shown in the graph below, it takes 24-51 posts before you see traffic growth on your blog. Therefore, your first priority should be to create useful content.
A large number of posts help Google index and understand your site content. So that Google can present the content to the target audience. An increase in blog traffic helps in the generation of more leads.
You see a 77% jump in the lead generation with a higher number of blog posts.
What Are Different Types Of Blog Traffic?
Visitors reach your blog in many different ways. Primarily, we have two types of blog traffic sources.
These two types of blog traffic sources are:
- Organic Traffic – Organic traffic refers to the visitors landing on your blog site via organic search results. It’s free traffic referred to by search engines like Google or Bing. This type of traffic takes time to build up.
- Paid Traffic – Paid traffic refers to the visitors landing on your blog site via paid promotion or advertising. As the name indicates you have to pay for the traffic. It is a quick method of driving traffic to your blog.
Driving Blog Traffic Using Free Methods
As per Growth Badger, organic traffic from Google is the #1 traffic source for high-income bloggers. Driving traffic through this method takes a lot of time, But considering the long term benefits, it’s worth the effort.
Organic traffic can be further divided into four different types:
- Search Traffic – Search Traffic refers to the traffic that reaches your blog via search engines. For e.g, Google or Bing etc. As per Google, 49% of users use Google to find or discover a new item or product.
- Referral traffic – Referral traffic is the traffic that reaches your blog by clicking on the links on other blogs or websites. The traffic is referred by the other blog sites to our blog or site.
- Direct traffic – Direct traffic is generated when a visitor types the blog address in the browser to reach your blog. The visitor is conversant with your blog and may have bookmarked your blog URL.
- Social Traffic – Social traffic is the traffic that is referred to your blog via social media platforms or social networks. For e.g. Facebook, Instagram or Twitter etc. As per Hubspot marketing statistics, global social media users are expected to touch 3.43 billion in 2023.
The referral traffic examples include:
- Guest Posting – Guest posting or Guest blogging means writing and publishing a blog post on other blogs that are in the same or related niche. You can place a few links back to your site when you submit a guest post.
- Blog Comments – You can leave helpful comments on other bloggers’ blog posts. The visitors can respond to your comments and even reach you using links in the comments
- Email marketing – Email marketing allows you to send emails to your subscribers. You can place links in your email content. This will help you in generating traffic back to your site. Check this article on how to use MailChimp for email marketing
The major Social traffic platforms that you can use to drive traffic to your blog are:
Facebook – Facebooks have approx. 3 billion monthly active users. There are multiple ways you can generate traffic to your blog some of them are:
- Create a Facebook Fan page. The fan page should be relevant to your blog niche.
- You can create your own Facebook Group or join other groups with a large following. Contribute to the group and place your links wherever needed. Do not spam the groups with your posts or comments containing your blog post links.
YouTube – Youtube is visited by over 2 billion logged-in users each month. Visitors watch about a billion hours of video, generating over a billion views. You can drive traffic from your youtube channel to your blog by placing the blog post comments in the description of the youtube video.
Forums – A forum is a website that allows users to communicate with each other and discuss various issues related to their niche. You can place your blog links while contributing to the discussion in a useful manner.
Here are some of the tips to generate traffic from forums:
- Join the Forum that is relevant to your niche.
- Use signature to add a link back to your site.
- Post regularly so that others start recognising you.
Pinterest – Pinterest boasts of having 459 million global active users every month as per their January 2021 data. (Pinterest, 2021). Women form more than 60% of Pinterest’s global audience.
Some of the tips to generate traffic from Pinterest:
- Sign up for a business account.
- Create a professional Pinterest profile.
- Create 10-15 boards based on your blog categories or niche topics.
- Enable rich pins
- Add the keywords to your pins.
Tips to drive traffic from Twitter:
- Use hashtags, they help you reach the audience beyond your followers
- Make creative use of mentions by using @username.
- Tweet statics and quotes as people love reading statics and quotes.
Tips for driving traffic from Reddit:
- Start following the subreddits related to your blog niche.
- Comment on the subreddit posts.
- Post your link wherever needed without spamming.
- Try earning the Karma, then only share your links in the comments.
Quora – Quora has about 190 million monthly users. It has more than 300 million monthly unique visitors. More than 54% of all users have an annual income of $100,000.
It is a question and answer (QnA) site. These questions often appear in the google search results.
Tips to generate traffic from quora:
- Complete your Quora Profile with a link to your blog.
- Add the topic that you know about.
- Stay active and contribute regularly.
- Target the question that shows up in Google results.
- Add useful comments to the answers.
Driving Blog Traffic Using Paid Methods
Paid traffic is the traffic that you drive to your blog by paying for it. For e.g paid promotions or advertising. It helps in generating instantaneous blog traffic. If you want quick results you can go for paid traffic sources.
Paid traffic has an average return on investment (ROI) of approx 200%. In simple terms, every $1 spent returns $2.
Facebook Ads – Facebook Ads can help you generate traffic for cheap with proper targeting. It can remarket to the people you had any interaction with in the past. FB ads help you target your exact audience based on age, location, language, interest or behaviour etc.
Google Ads – Google Ads or Adwords is pay per click (PPC) advertising platform. Advertisers can place ads both on the Google search results and non-search entities like websites, apps and videos.
The Google ads put your offer in front of the people who are searching for it.
Bing Ads – Bing Ads is a pay per click platform by Microsoft. Microsoft owns three search engines, Bing, Yahoo and AOL. If you advertise on any one of them, your ad will be shown on all three.
Approx 63 million searches are made on the Bing search engine. It forms a substantial amount of traffic.
Twitter ads – Twitter ads help you target the people who have used a specific keyword or hashtag in the previous seven days. You can target Twitter users following a particular account. It’s the only platform where you pay only when your marketing aim is achieved.
Due to low advertising competition on Twitter ads, it is quite cheap compared to other ads platforms.
Instagram Ads – Instagram ads appear just like normal Instagram posts. The only difference is the “Sponsored” label. A call to action button can be included to drive traffic to your blog.
The Best Method Of Driving Traffic For Beginners?
The best method of driving blog traffic for beginner bloggers depends on whether you want to use a free method or paid method.
The best tip I can give you is to pick up one method. Keep on working on the method till you master it. Then, carry on with all the others one by one.
If you want to go for the free method that is Organic traffic. You should learn and experiment with Search engine Optimisation (SEO). Check out the post on how to learn SEO free.
For driving traffic to your blog you need to satisfy the following three conditions:
- Create amazing content.
- Figure out where your target audience hangs out. For e.g, forums, groups or sites.
- Connect your content to the target audience.
We have discussed both the free as well as paid methods for the promotion of your blog. Pick out any one method and master it before jumping on to another method.
If you want fast results you can use paid methods. Whereas the free methods take time to generate blog traffic.
How are you planning to drive blog traffic to your blog? Using the free or paid method?